Leaders in our field
The Colorectal and Peritoneal Oncology Centre at The Christie has an international reputation for treating advanced and early colorectal cancer, appendix tumours, peritoneal tumours, anal cancer and tumours within the pelvis.
- Our team includes colorectal cancer surgeons, oncologists, radiologists, anaesthetists, pathologists and nurses.
- We work closely with other surgical departments at The Christie including plastic surgeons, gynaecologists and urologists.
- We’re at the forefront of our field and produce high quality publications and treatment guidance.
- We run a national programme for rare tumours.
- We help create international guidelines for improving treatments.
- We’re one of 2 nationally commissioned UK centres for peritoneal tumours.
- We provide cytoreductive surgery with heated intra-peritoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) for appendix tumours, pseudomyxoma peritoneii (PMP) and colorectal cancer.
- We treat advanced and recurrent cancers, particularly in the pelvis.
- We perform over 400 complex operations every year.
- We offer minimally invasive treatments for earlier cancers through endoscopy, keyhole (laparoscopic) and robotic surgery.
- We understand that communication is as important as treatment for patients, their families and their carers.
- We provide all patients with a nurse specialist, who becomes their individual contact as soon as they are referred.